Some of us are old school. We like old books and movies and television shows, we collect old gadgets and love antique stores, we like retro fashion and hair styles. Whether we’re straight out of the 1920’s or 1990’s, we love a throwback. So what brings this out astrologically? Let’s dive in!
Saturn, The Old One
The planet Saturn rules history, antiques, and a love of the past, so when you’re an old school type, you’ll usually see some Saturn dominance in some way. This can include:
- a prominent natal Saturn (conjunct an angle, conjunct the Sun or Moon, conjunct the Lunar Nodes, part of a stellium, at the anaretic degree, in the 1st house, the most or least aspected planet in your chart, a singleton)
- multiple Capricorn planets (the sign ruled by Saturn)
- Capricorn Sun, Moon, or Rising
- multiple 10th house planets (the house ruled by Saturn)
- the Sun or Moon in the 10th house
- Midheaven (usually 10th house cusp) at the anaretic degree
All of these can make the old schooler in you more prominent, and you may gravitate toward antiques, old slang, throwback styles, etc.
The 5th House of Hobbies
You can also see a tie in with the 5th house, which rules what you love and what your hobbies are. Being old school may be a “hobby” for you if you have:
- Capricorn on the 5th house cusp
- Saturn in the 5th house or aspecting the 5th house cusp or 5th house ruler
- the ruler of the 10th house in the 5th house or ruler of the 5th house in the 10th house
This can also come into play with Venus, who also rules what we enjoy, so being old school may be a source of pleasure if you have:
- Saturn in close aspect or conjunct natal Venus
- Venus in the 10th house
- Venus in Capricorn
- Venus and Saturn in a mutual reception
And Uranus, Aquarius, and the 11th house -
Funnily enough, you can also see Uranus, Aquarius, and 11th house in the mix here. It’s funny because this trio rules the future, but this trio is also unconventional, so they can appreciate a little retro flavor at times. Plus it goes against the current times, and this trio lo-oves to go against the grain.
When you’re someone who has both Saturn, Capricorn, and 10th house AND Uranus, Aquarius, and 11th house, you can be futuristically retro!
Temporarily Old School
You may find there are times in your life when you’re temporarily into old school stuff (a phase or fad for you). This can happen when you have transit (moving) Saturn coming into play, or aspects to natal Saturn, like:
- transit Saturn conjunct your natal Sun, Moon, Venus, 5th house ruler, or Uranus
- transit Saturn in the natal 5th house
- transit Venus conjunct natal Saturn
- transit Uranus aspecting natal Saturn (especially conjunction)
Uranus touring your natal 5th house can also mix up what you’re into (so if you’re not normally into the old school you can become so), and Venus touring your natal 10th house can bring a pleasant energy to the old school vibe.
Progressions can also come into play, like:
- progressed Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Ascendant, or Midheaven in Capricorn
- progressed Saturn at the anaretic degree
- progressed 5th house cusp in Capricorn
- progressed planets entering the natal 10th house or conjunct the natal Midheaven
- progressed Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Ascendant, or Midheaven conjunct natal Saturn
So, have fun being old school!
Suggested Reading: Astrology of Saturn & Your Home Life