Venus retrograde is coming! Our last Venus retrograde came December 2021 to January 2022, entirely in earth sign Capricorn. This one hits us in fiery Leo. What can we expect?
Make sure you're signed up for the free monthly worksheet so you can track Venus every month!
The basics - What is Venus retrograde?
A planet is called retrograde when it appears to be moving backward from our view here on Earth. It's not actually moving backward, and only looks that way. Venus retrogrades roughly every 1 1/2 years for about 1 1/2 months. Mercury retrogrades most often (3-4 times each year for about 3 weeks at a time) while Neptune and Pluto are retrograde for almost as much time as they're not (so much more subtle).
Venus is a personal planet (with the Sun, Moon, Mercury, and Mars), and personal planets have energy we feel more personally. This makes Venus retrograde important! Venus rules love and money, so you can get your heart broken and go bankrupt on the same day during Venus retrograde (LOL! that'd be a terrible one though!). We tend to be much lazier, more stubborn and selfish, indulgent and immovable during Venus retrograde.
Venus Retrograde in Leo 2023 Dates:
Venus Retrograde in Leo Effects:
Venus retrograde comes, and loves to muck up relationships and make us all very short with each other! We can have little to no patience with the people in our lives, and we can struggle with getting moving with anything that requires action.
We very much want to be lazy and indulge, and can be very self-involved and inconsiderate. We don't want to change anything, and we can be quite stubborn about it!
In Leo, this is the sign of love and creativity, so we can be extra challenging in our love relationships and with those we love. We may demand too much of their attention, desperate for praise and adoration (especially if this is normally an issue and self-esteem is low), but then when we get it, we may get annoyed by it and just want everyone to shut up. Catch-22!
We may want to push work aside and avoid responsibilities, and take time away to goof off as much as possible. This would be a great time for a vacation! But not great for anything requiring discipline and focus as this is likely lacking.
This would be a great period for reconnecting with the heart and with our inner child. We can remind ourselves how to have fun without any expectations or worries about perfection.
We can also reconnect with old hobbies and creative ventures, and this might be a good time to pick back up an old creative project or hobby that we used to love. We might make some progress with it now, and can enjoy it more.
With Leo ruling love, we can also reconnect with old flames, and some may see the return of an ex or two. If you want to get back together with an ex, this might be the time for it. Just make sure you're seeing the situation clearly and not with rose-colored glasses.
Leo also rules our children, so if you have any, watch out for some super rebellion! They may push to get their own way more than usual, and they may seem much grumpier and quick to snap. Try to have some patience with them, and with yourself, and see if there's something that is making them feel insecure that might be causing this.
For yourself, make sure your own confidence, self-worth, self-esteem, and self-respect are in good shape too. If they're not, this retrograde may expose that and cause a lot of discomfort. Take care of yourself, and work on issues that have kept you from feeling good about yourself. If you need to make a change for the better, now may be the time.
Oh, and one big warning: pride is sure to be a HUGE issue with this retrograde! Way too much pride getting in the way of anything and everything. We can channel the wounded lion and roar pretty loudly, and lash out, but this doesn't help very much. We need to work on strengthening ourselves internally so we can have more productive reactions to woundings, and not let pride get in the way.
Venus Retrograde in Leo 2023 Aspects:
Venus makes 5 major aspects while retrograde. They are:
- Venus conjunct Mercury | July 27th 2023 @ 28 degrees: Mercury brings mental focus, and we can come up with ideas and plans for what we need to be doing creatively. We can come up with different ways of communicating and expressing ourselves, and we may keep busy.
- Venus square Uranus | August 9th 2023 @ 22 degrees: Uranus is the planet of change, the sudden and unexpected, so the square to Uranus can bring out unexpected challenges in relationships, and many may find their relationships on the edge of breaking. This would be a time when bad relationships get worse, and some may decide to suddenly walk away.
- Venus conjunct the Sun | August 13th 2023 @ 20 degrees: This happens during each Venus retrograde, and the Sun shines a light, so this brings extra focus and attention to whatever is happening with Venus retrograde at the time. We may have an easier time seeing how to deal with matters and find resolutions more easily.
- Venus sextile Ceres | August 16th 2023 @ 18 degrees: Ceres is a dwarf planet ruling nourishment and support, so this beneficial aspect helps us get and give support that is needed. Ceres also rules our resources, so we can find new ways of using the resources we have, and accessing new resources when needed.
- Venus square Jupiter | August 22nd 2023 @ 15 degrees degrees: Venus is actually square Jupiter for a while, the second half of August and most of September, since Jupiter will turn retrograde in early September and Venus retrograde will end in early September with the two square. This can bring out some super laziness, indulgence, and excess to the max. We may have difficulty moderating, or finding motivation for anything. We may demand too much space in relationships, and push others away. We need to find ways to take action when needed, and find small amounts of space instead of pushing others away. This also may not be a great time for flying.
Also, Venus will conjunct Black Moon Lilith on August 7th 2023 at 23 degrees Leo. Black Moon Lilith is a point of personal power, and is strong feminine energy, while Venus is also a feminine ruler. This conjunction likely highlights some important developments regarding women's issues, a specific woman, or something like a sex scandal. Watch out!
The Moons of Venus Retrograde
The Moon is in the same as the Venus retrograde, Leo, just once, from August 14th (6:37AM ET/3:37AM PT) to August 16th (7:15PM ET/4:15PM PT), and during that time, on August 16th 2023, a new moon occurs in Leo, and it's not conjunct (aligned with) Venus, but it still may shine a light on any Venus retrograde issues we're dealing with at the time, and may be good energy for second chances and do-overs.
Venus naturally rules Taurus and Libra, so when the Moon is in Taurus or Libra, this can make us resonate more with the Venus energy, and we can work on connecting better, relationship issues, getting grounded, and moving forward. Taurus can focus more on movement, stubbornness, sluggishness, and grounding while Libra can focus more on connecting, relationships, and balance. The Moon is in Taurus or Libra on:
July 23rd (1:55AM ET/July 22nd @ 10:55PM PT) - 25th 2023 (11:06AM ET/8:06AM PT) - Libra
August 7th (2:25AM ET/August 6th @ 11:25PM PT) - 9th 2023 (6:39AM ET/3:39AM PT) - Taurus
August 19th (7:54AM ET/4:54AM PT) - 21st 2023 (4:31PM ET/1:31PM PT) - Libra
The Moon will be in Taurus when the retrograde ends, starting September 3rd 2023 at 10:59AM ET/7:59AM PT (so over 10 hours before it ends).
The retrograde begins at 28 degrees Leo, so those of you Leo Suns born after August 19th can feel the start of the retrograde most. The retrograde ends at 12 degrees Leo, so those of you Leo Suns born August 2nd - 8th can feel the end of the retrograde most.
For the rest of you, check the house(s) Venus will be retrograding in of your own natal chart, and any aspects Venus will make during its retrograde to your natal planets, to fully understand how it will impact you personally.
If you have Venus retrograde in your natal or progressed chart, you may not feel the worst of this. Those individuals generally don't experience the difficulties of the retrograde because it feels more natural to them. Of course, chances are everyone else around them doesn't have the same aspect, so they can still experience difficulties brought on by others. If it's in your natal chart, check out this article about Venus retrograde in the natal chart.
Suggested Reading: Mercury, Venus, and Mars Retrogrades page for general interpretations of Venus retrograde in the houses and aspects